Please feel free to share your comments and news!
Sharing with you a video clip of the 5th ASC World Congress in Rome.
Greetings of Peace to you all,
Trust you have taken some training/formation/retreats online and/or had prayers/reflections during Laudato Siâ Week. Hopefully together with the local members, you have put preparation into action. Here are some additional thoughts regarding our Commitment in joining Don Bosco Green Alliance as an organization:
First you may want to proclaim this message in your own Province, encouraging your local members to sign the Pledge (website) in âAnswering Pope Francisâ urgent call in Laudato Si, I pledge to:
â¢ Pray for and with creation
â¢ Live more simply
â¢ Advocate to protect our common home.â
You may also want to keep a record of those members who have signed the Pledge. This name list can be shared later as one of the accomplishment.
More importantly you want as many as possible to really Live Simple, local members and even their family in your Province. There is no guidelines to measure how you can live simple or more simply but everyone should have a standard in your heart (follow the Holy Spirit) to put this simple commitment into action. As a Provincial leader, you may want to make sure the local members would have opportunity to share what they have done or what they want to do to accomplish the goal. During this sharing, please try to focus on being conscious of our consumption and to be aware of the choices we make as consumers. For example, I can choose to purchase air conditioner at a higher price but more energy saving; or I can choose to walk or ride a bike rather than to drive a carâ¦
Have you heard about a Chinese maxim âeat 70% fullâ for your good health? Or more scientifically âEating 40% less food could extend your life by 20 yearsâ according to the researchers of the Institute of Health Ageing at University College London in developing treatment for 'disease' of ageing. (source: Independent)
Believe or not, we always waste food when dining as a group of people in daily life because we try not to starve people while ordering or preparing food. This means we aim at âeat 100% fullâ or maybe more than that! So why not aim at â70% fullâ at next group dining? Logically you will help minimize food waste up to 30%!
Do you know water cannot be created? Itâs just an ecological process of evaporating from the ocean and fall down as rainâ¦ only 1.2% of water on the Earth is available for our daily use! (click here to see the water distribution graph)
Thus minimizing water waste is a pressing issue and we all can do it in our daily life. As a Provincial leader, please consider implementing the â70% fullâ concept and you may also want to read the attached document from Don Bosco Green Alliance for more ways of reducing wastage.
Donât think you cannot do anything as you are not working in education or you are âtoo oldâ to do any youth work! As a Salesian Cooperator of Don Bosco, Iâm sure you all know and agree with âLead by Exampleâ which is more important and perhaps more effective than verbal education. âwhen you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doingâ¦ when you pray, go to your private room, shut yourself in, and so pray to your Father who is in that secret place, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.â (Mt 6:4-6)
However, please donât get me wrong. Iâm not discouraging verbal education. In fact, you should capture every opportunity to educate youth â our next generation â but you still need your own examples. Please refer to the second attachment from Don Bosco Green Alliance about a training manual for Communicating with youth on Climate Change. A series of training were held last year during the Global Climate Strikes in September.
Thatâs all I want to share with you and hope itâs helpful to get you (your Province) start acting on the 3 commitment of Salesian Cooperators - EAO. Please feel free to share any new ideas and/or activities/programs of your Province.
In Don Bosco, Philip.Â 30-5-2020
**English official version: click hereÂ
***Postponed 1 year due to Cov-19 pandemic, exact date to be announced.
Greetings of Peace from Hong Kong!
It is my pleasure to invite everyone of you with love in Christ to join our 10th Regional Congress from 23rd to 26th July 2020 in Xuan Loc, VIETNAM. Many thanks to our Vietnam Province to host the Congress and much appreciated the support of Vietnam SDB Provincial Rev. Fr. Joseph QUANG.
LOVE, LIVE for and SERVE the Young
Carried over the initiatives from last Congress in Tokyo, particularly the "For the Young" project in each province of EAO, we join hand-in-hand to walk-the-talk in our real life as a Salesian Cooperator the past three years. Now it's time we come together and share our fruit, our experience and our lessons learnt in order to reinforce our LOVE of the Young, LIVE our unique vocation with the Young, and as our dearest Rector Major said the whole Salesian Family is to SERVE the Young! Of course, selecting the right person to serve the Region for the next six years would be another equally important objective to accomplish this time. Trust the Holy Spirit work among us to transform our dreams into reality.
For budget purpose, the estimate cost will be about US$270 per person including registration, accommodation, meals and local transportation. Please prepare to arrive before 2:00 pm on 23rd and depart 2:pm on 26th July 2020. The exact amount, the program and other details will come with the registration package from Vietnam Province soon. In case there is any concern about the costs, kindly advise and we will try our best to help.
As I mentioned at the regional meeting prior to World Congress last year, we all had to prepare for candidates of the next World Councillor, my successor, and I also reminded again during our first regional formators workshop earlier this year. I believe you all have good candidates on hand now. May I suggest each province nominate at least 1 member and at most 2 members of the Association for the election?
Please fill out the enclosed nomination form and send to me together with our Regional Delegate Fr. Suphot Riungam no later than 1st May 2020 by e-mail.
Like the Tokyo Congress, I encourage you come and join the Congress with young people as Vietnam organizing committee (VOC) is planning for parallel youth event. The young participant's package will be announced later by VOC.
For all Provincial Coordinators, please make sure this message reach all of your fellow members as soon as possible so that everyone can well prepare for it financially, physically and spiritually. Kindly prepare to share "For the Young" project as well, with one written report and photos for poster session at the Congress.
Mary, Help of Christian pray for us. See you all in Vietnam!
Sincerely yours in Don Bosco,
World Councillor/EAO 2014-20
Greetings of Peace from Hong Kong!
It is my greatest pleasure to invite everyone of you with the love of young people in heart to join the 9th Regional Congress from 7th to 10th May 2017 in Tokyo, JAPAN. Big thanks to our Japan Province to host the Congress and much appreciated the support of Japan SDB Provincial Fr. Yamanouchi.
Together, Come, for the Young
Don Bosco loved young people and devoted his whole life to the well-being of the young. Today, although social environment has changed, there are still many young people who are in difficult situation physically and/or spiritually. With the «Project of Apostolic Life» being final, and its tools being approved by the World Council, we shall be focus on FORMATION at all levels; and return to the very beginning of the spirit of Don Bosco, rethink what we can do for the young. In this process, we may find a better way to develop our vocation especially with the young and for the young! As such, a youth meeting/event will be scheduled in parallel during the Congress. Together, let’s ponder how we can be another Don Bosco by then.
For budget purpose, the estimate cost will be JPY40,000 (about US$370) per person including registration, accommodation, meals and local transportation to Mt. Fuji. The exact amount and further details are to be advised by Japan Province later. In case there is any concern about the fee, kindly advise and we will try our best to help.
For all members in EAO, I encourage you come and join the Congress with young people (16-30 years old) so as to take part in the youth event. The young participants can be your own young members or aspirants, members of Salesian Youth Movement from your location, and of course your family members. There will be special discount for these young participants and the details will be announced later by the Japan Province.
For all Provincial Coordinators, kindly ensure this message reach all of your members as soon as possible so that everyone can well prepare for it physically and spiritually.
May the Holy Spirit be us. See you all in Tokyo!
Sincerely yours in Don Bosco,
World Councillor/EAO 2014-20
 tools include the key document of Commentary to PAL, Formation Guidelines, Animation and Governance Criteria
The new World Council of the Salesian Cooperators, gathered for the first time in Rome during this Holy Year of Mercy, expresses its gratitude to God for the gift of the Holy Spirit who raised up Don Bosco, Father of the Salesian Family. The apostolic energy of his charism has spread throughout the entire world, calling men and women, Religious and Lay, to live the vocation that is properly theirs while collaborating in the same mission at the service of the poorest youth. We are happy to be witnesses to the pastoral charity which animates the Salesian Cooperators the world over and to have shared this joy in a most fraternal manner during these days.
1. The presence of both the Rector Major and of Mother General at the beginning of the work confirmed the significance of the Association within the Salesian Family and within the Church. They encouraged and invited us to live our daily lives with faith and always to be involved in the social and political realms with commitment – with ever greater commitment. We, together with the other ecclesial and social forces, are the ones who will bring about profound changes so our world may be one of peace and of authentic fraternity.
2. For this reason, our work focused on the drafting and the approval of some documents which we hold to be foundational for the future of the Association. Following our Founder’s original intuition and the inspirations underlying the new Project of Apostolic Life, we have re-formulated the Guidelines for Formation. We assert that Formation is the key to every serious and profound change and growth in both persons and structures. To complete this work which opens up a new horizon, rich in hope, required much time, labor, and great commitment. Together with the Guidelines for Formation, we have also written and approved the “Criteria for Animation and Governance” and the Handbook for the World Council. Another instrument that will certainly be useful and which must accompany us along the years is the new Commentary to the PVA. We are convinced that the Holy Spirit has illuminated us so that the Association might follow a journey of growth both in quantity and in quality during the coming years.
3. The meeting of the World Councilors is also an occasion for us to know one another better, to share each one’s unique experiences, to share the joys of generous service, and to support each other in difficulties. Each continent, each region has its own story. Even though we travel in the same direction, times and situations differ. Our charism, our love for Don Bosco, and the will to serve the young with enthusiasm and generosity are what unite us.
4. We are conscious of the fact that we find ourselves facing great challenges placed before us. Violence, wars, youth unemployment, and the problems of families (and concerning the family), of ethics, and of social justice cannot leave us indifferent. Every bit of this requires a formation that is more carefully planned and carried out and a more significant ecclesial and social Visibility. We are not spectators but are the ones who are strong in our convictions, making history happen in today’s world. In order to act efficaciously in our cultural milieu, we must be competent and well-versed in communication.
5. In order to meet these challenges, we must work together. It is absolutely indispensable for us to grow in our sense of belonging to the Association to achieve this goal. Belonging is manifested concretely by living the same spirit, by sharing the same goals, and by participating in economic solidarity.
6. These challenges are problems, it is true, but they are also opportunities for growth so as to bring great life to our Association. Since faith without works is dead, we wish to respond actively to these challenges by developing a three-year plan of action.
Dear Salesian Cooperators, When entering through the Holy Door of Mercy in St. Peter’s Basilica, we prayed for each one of you and for the entire Association. We invoked the Holy Spirit to accompany us on our journey. We are certain of His Presence, as we are of the maternal presence of Mary, and that of Don Bosco, of Mother Mazzarello, and of all the Saints of the Salesian Family.
The task now awaiting us is not an easy one but it is one that invigorates us. It is the mission which our forebears knew how to carry out. Today, it is a matter of being leaven and salt in our world so that we may add to our common history and give it flavor as we prepare to celebrate its 140th anniversary.
The World Council
Rome, February 21
The Year of Mercy 2016
16 August 2015 at Colle Don Bosco, with 120 delegates from China Province, and thousands of young people, we have witnessed the conclusion of Bicentenary year of Don Bosco birthday.
Rector Major has already sent a clear message ‘Like Don Bosco, for the Young and with the Young’ but what does it mean to you, how is it going to set you out for the next centenary?
First, I like to invite you to join the Happy Vocation Movement that I initiated from the China Province (officially on 7th March this year at one of the pre-pilgrimage formation seminars) and guess what, it's also the first out of five dreams of our dearest Rector Major! (click here to read more if you haven't)
現誠邀 閣下/ 貴單位仝人登入敝會網站(scc.org.hk)瀏覽，並為網站的完善及發展提供寶貴意見，煩請聯絡本人或秘書處石華姊妹(電話：+852 2819 0415或傳真+852 3010 8176；電郵 SalesianCooperators.China@gmail.com ) 為盼。